Monday, April 16, 2012

The Summer I turned Pretty - Book Review by Lindsay


The Summer I Turned Pretty  by Jenny Han

This book is about a 15 year old girl named Isabel, or Belly, as she goes by, who pretty much lives for summer. At the beginning of every summer, Belly, her brother Steven, and her mom go to a place called Cousins beach, where Belly's best friend's mom lives. Her mom's friend, Susannah, has 2 sons, Jeremiah, and Conrad. Jeremiah and Conrad have been just friends with Belly since they were little kids, but that doesn't mean Belly hasn't been crushing on either of them... And this year is different. In more ways than Belly knows at first. For one; She's matured a lot over the past year, this is the summer she turned pretty.

I was a little hesitant to read this at first; it sounded cliche, predictable and kind of boring. But it most definitely was not. (Well, some parts were, but it was still really good.)  I'm so glad I decided to give this book a chance because I really, really loved it! It's one of my favorites. I literally read it in a day. Belly is such a relatable character, and you can really connect with her emotions. And I loved most of the other characters too. I liked how there were little flashback chapters, where you could learn about some of Belly's past, it makes you almost feel like you grew up with the characters. This is the first book in a trilogy; I'm about halfway through the second book and I can't wait to read the third!


Book Review by Lindsay

No comments: