Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Secret Garden - Book Review by Abby S.

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

This year, for my summer reading, I decided to go back, way back. I've been systematically reading through a list of my favorite classics from my early childhood. For some, such a list may consist of Junie B. Jones and Captain Underpants; I have always been a bit strange, and my list consists of books such as Black Beauty, Oliver Twist, and The Secret Garden.

The Secret Garden is the story of a young English girl, Mary Lennox, who at the turn of the century is living in India (which was still part of the British Empire). At the beginning of the book, Mary's mother and father are both killed by cholera (a deadly virus), and she is sent to live with her uncle in his home, Misselthwaitee Manor.

As she adjusts to living in a country she has never set foot in, Mary learns about herself, friendship, and the world around her. She finds adventure in discovering the secrets of the Manor and even searching for what she believes is a ghost.

The Secret Garden is a heartwarming story that has enchanted readers for nearly a century, and I am firmly among their numbers.


Book Review by Abby S.

No comments: